Friday 15 March 2019

My Accident Story.



A Little Boost, a Broken Thumb

By: Miriam

February 2019


I am learning to entertain my audience with a recount.

Have you ever had a major accident? Was it as small as a cut or as sore as a broken bone? Well I have a very funny story about the day I broke a thumb. Yes I actually broke a thumb. This day started out with a normal everyday family bike ride to the park, my dad led the pack while my brother and I followed closely.

“Keep up you slow coach,” My brother called out to be me as he overtook me on his bike, showing off. I gripped the handle bars tighter, pushed down on the pedals as I tried to go faster to over take him. That’s when Dad interrupted, “It’s time to go home!”

Pulling up next to Dad at the top of a giant hill watching my brother go down cautiously, I thought this time I would beat him down the hill. That's when my plan came into action. I asked dad to give me a boost, this way I could beat him.


Dad pushed be from behind, I started to fly down the hill, going faster and faster. I flew past my brother, uh oh… maybe I was going too fast. I felt the handlebars began to shake, pulling my hands as it wobbled. At this point I was aware that if the handle bars were wobbling the front wheel would be wobbling too. I lost control and steered myself into the kerb crashing down to the ground, my body landing on my hand followed by the bike. SNAP!


Hearing the snap of my thumb I knew I would be in for a long wait at the doctors. Leaving the doctors with my thumb in a cast and a very long healing time, I have learnt my lesson to not get an extra push going down a hill. And always wear a helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment